[plug] Windows

Rob Hall rob at hcm.iinet.net.au
Tue Jan 12 10:39:16 WST 1999

PLUGgers,

I apologise if you've already received this.  I originally sent it on
Friday - but seeing as I didn't get a copy from the server back to me I
assume it somehow got lost.  Here it is again...

I never thought Linux could cut it as a desktop.  Everything was too chunky
and broken.  As a server (I thought) it was the best thing since sliced
bread.  I had heard people say that the desktop was good - but I couldn't
see it.  I had downloaded a number of windowing systems and eventually gave
up on finding anything that was user friendly and nice to look.  This was
until yesterday...

After not bothering about a desktop for a period of some months, and instead
putting up with my Win$hit system, I downloaded KDE from iinet's mirror and
a few updated libraries. It took me a while to get it up and running
properly (I had a late night), but when I finally did I was most impressed.

Not only did it look and feel professional, but I couldn't find anything
that was broken.  Was impressed me more was that I was able to download,
install and run without having to restart my PC once.  Being used to
restarting Windows over every conceivable little adjustment, this impressed
me no end.

I now plan to migrate all my business over to Linux, with a Win partition
for things like Access programming (I still have to make a living).  I have
a few things I need to get (spreadsheet and accounting package and something
for my Cassiopeia - does anyone know of some Linux software for
Cassiopeia?), but I think it will be a good move and perhaps a move I can
encourage some of my clients.

I am most impressed and can't wait until I can boot to Linux again and play
(for now I have some pressing duties which I must do in windows).

One quick question.  I tried xdm.  Everything went fine until I tried to
shut down the window manager.  Every time I went to shut down it just kept
coming back asking for my password.  I gave up in the end and just shut down
the PC and went to bed.   Can someone tell me how to shut it down?  Also,
what is the difference between xdm and startx?  (Please excuse my ignorance)

Regards,

Rob Hall

Heights Computer Management
"Making computers work for you."