[plug] World-wide Network

Paul Wilson hooker at opera.iinet.net.au
Fri Jan 22 16:24:58 WST 1999

> I once heard on the net grapevine (I think it was at CNET) that someone
was
> developing a world-wide internet backbone (I think it was Global and
Sprint
> or some other big name telcos). Apparently the backbone was to touch in
> Australia at Perth, Melbourne and Sydney with the Perth link going up the
> Western Australia coast to Indonesia and the east cost link going to New
> Zealand or something. Does anyone have any info on this or heard of
anymore
> news about it. I'm trying to search through my archives of useful
> information and doing some net searches, but I can't even remember all
the
> details about it (It was over a year ago that it was announced). Any help
> would be appreciated as my boss is looking for some information.

Late last year I came across something (with a reference that I can't find
at the moment) called the 'Oxygen' project which was to spend in the order
of $10 billion US putting fibre right round the globe (and then some).

Australia's landing point was Sydney of course. Perth wasn't in the
projected 5 year plan.

Was that anything similar to your grapevine?

Paul