[plug] New Years' Resolutions

Chris Cornish linuxcw at yahoo.com.au
Fri Jan 22 23:14:36 WST 1999

---Leon Brooks <leon at brooks.smileys.net> wrote:

> OKey doke, blokes... and the few special non-blokes...
>
> What are we going to do with PLUG this year?
>
> El Prezzo's had a good shot at getting us some heavy publicity, still
> on-going in the case of radio stations but somewhat thwarted in the
case
> of TV by the, umm, not-very-well-planned editing which took place, and
> also wants to do an install-fest. David Buddridge and a few others
want
> to pitch in and do a computers-for-the-poor thing. All good ideas,
> methinks, but more than one or two people are needed in order to make
> each one work.
>
> So, what do we actually do?
>
> I think an install-fest is good. Perhaps iinet would like to host
it, if
> we push them as an ISP in return (ie, use iinet as the default ISP
when
> setting up machines to dial). Should we charge? $20? Or does that make
> us more liable if someone whinges? When should we do this? How
should we
> advertise? Should we take business cards to chase followup business,
or
> tell them to post on the list? Should we add other 'phone numbers to
the
> Web page? If so, who wants theirs added?

Leon feel free to add mine it is 0416 369 180

> Computers for the poor/handicapped is good, but those who have the
> energy to do it will have no time, and those with time will have no
> enthusiasm, or at least, that's how it usually goes. Does anyone have
> any ideas about that? Should that group have regular meetings,
and/or a
> roster/pledge for at least N hours a week of collection, assembly and
> delivery work? How should they advertise? Is this also an opportunity
> for "ecumenical" interaction with other user groups? Can PLUG benefit
> from it while benefiting others?
>
> Are there any expos or such-like that we could have a stand at?

Computer Expo If it runs this year i will try and get friendly with
the orginiseres ( if im not already)

> Global Warriors was enjoyable. Should we contact others and make it a
> regular thing? Would this introduce one-eyed Windows users to other
> possibilities, or would it be too much hard work?
>
> Are there gummint funds or awards that PLUG can tap into?

RC5 cracking (with our own Wolfpack we should have a good chance just
need to get 150 powersupplys becouse
the garage thier in was hit by lightining earlier tonight wich dosnot
do a whole lot of good for them)

> Any other ideas?

would it posible for us to advertisie in the paper again?

> --
> Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, "Where have I gone wrong?"
> Then
> a voice says to me, "This is going to take more than one night."
>  -- Charlie Brown, "Peanuts" [Charles Schulz]

Chris Cornish
Linux Computer World
0416 369 180