[plug] Training for Linux?

David Buddrige buddrige at q-net.net.au
Tue Jan 26 12:25:23 WST 1999

Rick wrote:

> My comment is this. Is it worthwhile to get some sort of hobby course
> together, for those like me, who are not computer illiterate, (I know what
> a mouse is, and it isn't always a hairy little critter that scares my wife)

Best intro I've seen thus far is put out by APC magazine... it's a great little
starter kit that costs $14.95.  It's a great little intro book to Linux which
explains a bit of the history and background of Linux before getting into how
to install it, and do something useful with it - it also comes with a Redhat
5.2 CD attached.

Meanwhile the computerbank project is in the process of putting together some
"Linux training material" aimed at newbies, which could form the basis of a
good intro course into linux.  One of the things we're looking at doing also,
is a kind of "Computer-club" - meeting for an hour or two on a Saturday morning
for newbies to learn Linux (But that's still in the future - first comes the
training notes and material)....

for more info, you could check out the ComputerBank WA homepage at
http://www.q-net.net.au/~buddrige/computerbank/ and specifically the
documentation project that is a part of it:
http://www.q-net.net.au/~buddrige/computerbank/doco/

David Cambel:  I agree with your comments here - Linux is still a bit tricky to
use - especially for newbies... hopefully the GNOME and KDE projects should
make things a bit easier - I understand taht Redhat 5.3 is due out in April or
so, and will come with GNOME as the default window manager which may make
things easier too.....

BTW does anyone know if the new 2.2 kernel has any features which are  likely
to impact user-friendliness?

cheers all

David Buddrige.