[plug] Training for Linux?

David Campbell campbell at torque.net
Wed Jan 27 07:16:46 WST 1999

> Meanwhile the computerbank project is in the process of putting together some
> "Linux training material" aimed at newbies, which could form the basis of a
> good intro course into linux.  One of the things we're looking at doing also,
> is a kind of "Computer-club" - meeting for an hour or two on a Saturday morning
> for newbies to learn Linux (But that's still in the future - first comes the
> training notes and material)....
>
> for more info, you could check out the ComputerBank WA homepage at
> http://www.q-net.net.au/~buddrige/computerbank/ and specifically the
> documentation project that is a part of it:
> http://www.q-net.net.au/~buddrige/computerbank/doco/

I applaude your effort, I am trying to gather together all the pieces to the
puzzle. The industrial side needs some SERIOUS work while the domestic side
seems to be coming together.

> David Cambel:  I agree with your comments here - Linux is still a bit tricky to
> use - especially for newbies... hopefully the GNOME and KDE projects should
> make things a bit easier - I understand taht Redhat 5.3 is due out in April or
> so, and will come with GNOME as the default window manager which may make
> things easier too.....

RedHat is almost a "drop in the CD and answer 6 questions" these days.

> BTW does anyone know if the new 2.2 kernel has any features which are  likely
> to impact user-friendliness?

The 2.2 kernel is not going to change user look and feel, think of it as an
engine upgrade for the VW (using a Porche engine). Still the same shabby
exterior (expect a re-spray sometime this year) but it now can outrun the cops.

David Campbell
campbell at torque.net
Check http://www.torque.net/parport for all Linux parallel port solutions.
(also check http://www.torque.net/parport/archive/current/)
Current project list:
a) Get ZIP Plus drive back from waranty claim
b) Maintain Linux ZIP drivers (need to update docs)