[plug] Constant rebooting while installing Debian 2.1?

Matt Bruce Matt.Bruce at alphawest.com.au
Mon Jul 5 16:38:17 WST 1999

Hi all,

I'm trying to install Debian as dual-boot on a Fujitsu Lifebook 531T
notebook (Pentium 133, 2.1GB HDD, 32MB RAM, PCMCIA 3COM NIC and Hayes modem,
etc) and am having little success. It installs and loads Redhat (Mandrake,
actually) without a problem. I'm trying to get it to the point where I can
use NFS to install the packages, etc.

However, when I boot from the Debian 2.1 boot disk it does the SYSLINUX and
computer resets, and will keep resetting at that point if I let it.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and, more importantly, found a
solution or workaround? I've browsed through the Ethernet- and
PCMCIA-HOWTOs, but they just make a few suggestions and give references,
some of which I have tried. Short of spending half a day trying different
boot options, I'm buggered if I know what the problem is. The hardware works
fine under Doze ('95) and RH/Mandrake.

If anyone could give shed some light on the matter, it'd be great. Debian is
the distribution I need/prefer, so suggesting some other flavour/distro
isn't a solution. :)

TIA,

Matt Bruce
matt.bruce at alphawest.com.au