[plug] Help with Squid

Paul Baumgarten paul at kcc.wa.edu.au
Wed Jul 7 10:03:53 WST 1999

I'm wondering if anyone is a guru with Squid Proxy

I have spent the last couple of days poring over my log files, FAQs and
documentation to no avail.  I have determined that my problem is with Squid
as sendmail, telnet, ping etc all work fine so it can't be a physical link
problem or that the router isn't connecting.

The problem in short is that Squid isn't working!  I can't view any web
content that isn't already in my local cache.

My cache.log file has many occurances of "TCP connection to 203.5.184.1/3128
failed" for the last couple of days.  In fact from May to last Friday there
were only 22 occurances of this message in my log, compared with over 50
since Friday.  All attempts to view new content causes ERR_READ_TIMEOUT or
ERR_CONNECT_FAIL messages in my log file.  The connect fail messages sure
make it sound like a link issue.  The other thing (this may or may not be my
imagination) is that when "TCP connection to ... successful" comes up... it
only seems to stay up until I test it by trying to go to a web site... at
which point I get the failed message.

Anyone with any ideas?

Paul Baumgarten (email: paul at kcc.wa.edu.au)
Information Systems Manager