[plug] exchangable disks with Linux

Paul Wilson hooker at opera.iinet.net.au
Mon Jul 26 15:45:56 WST 1999

For the last four or five years I've been using a Panasonic optical drive for backup on my Linux box, but I think that it's finally died -- it's stuffed three disks (new ones) over the last couple of months, so I'm looking for a repalcement - of sorts.

I like the idea of an Orb, but don't know anyone who's actually *used* one for any length of time, a Jazz is a definate possibility, but before I actually part with money, I've got a queston about exchangable hard drives - you know, the ones that drop (carefully) into the 'dawer' like mounting.

Has anyone in Plug-land used one of these with Linux?  I'm only interested if I can change drives without shutting down first.  I know that Linux will ignore the drive if the filesystems are unmounted, but can you change the drives with power still on to the box?

I'd appreciate hearing of any experiences ...

Thanks,

Paul