[plug] exchangable disks with Linux

Brad Campbell brad at seme.com.au
Mon Jul 26 15:19:46 WST 1999

> Paul Wilson wrote:
>
> For the last four or five years I've been using a Panasonic optical drive for backup on my Linux
> box, but I think that it's finally died -- it's stuffed three disks (new ones) over the last
> couple of months, so I'm looking for a repalcement - of sorts.
>
> I like the idea of an Orb, but don't know anyone who's actually *used* one for any length of time,
> a Jazz is a definate possibility, but before I actually part with money, I've got a queston about
> exchangable hard drives - you know, the ones that drop (carefully) into the 'dawer' like mounting.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.....................
Is that a strong enough term ?

I have an IOMEGA Zip, and Syquest Syjet....
And have used the Jaz and know people who try to use them regularly....
The Zip and Syjet are both GREAT storage mediums, they just suffer from the same problems as
floppy's
periodic amnesia....
The data tends to fall off just when you need to get it back.
I'm looking at an ORB too, but seeing as the bloke who created the orb, is the same guy who
started Syquest, I guess it's based on the same techology.
They are great if you put them in the drive, write to them and then remove them and store them
in a lead box, burried 6 feet deep in the back yard.

What I'm getting at is they are all MUCH more fragile than a bog stock, cheap Quantum Fireball in
a removable carrier...

My ideal would be a 10bg Fireball, preferably SCSI for portability, in a small external case that
plugs into the back of the machines.. and a 24GB Dat drive to backup that every week or so...

I have had nothing but trouble with my Syjet and Zip.. they both work great out of the box, but
after
some time.. they develop selective amnesia.. Running the cart refresh procedure on the SyJet turns
up
more bad sectors that I have ever seen on any drive.. bar some early 2gb Maxtors...

Hope I have not put you off too badly.. but after investing $800 for the Syjet, then $200 per cart
after that.. it has almost turned into a very expensive conversation point..
I'm afraid to trust it with any data I may possibly need to recover at some point...
Grab a good 4xCDR with a nice big buffer, and a box of CD-R's and be happy...
Besi
des, when the data on the disk is outdated, you can Microwave 'em.. then they become groovy
coasters with a great fractal'ish pattern....

My .02c worth
Brad..