[plug] exchangable disks with Linux

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Mon Jul 26 16:01:04 WST 1999

On Mon, 26 Jul 1999, Paul Wilson wrote:

> For the last four or five years I've been using a Panasonic optical drive for backup on my Linux box, but I think that it's finally died -- it's stuffed three disks (new ones) over the last couple of months, so I'm looking for a repalcement - of sorts.

I use a Zip drive for backups, and have had no problems yet.
But if i were buying now, CD-R is definitely the way I would go.
Its not rewritable, but the media is so cheap - so who cares?
And you can read a CD anywhere.
The CDs are tolerant of heat, vibration, and EMFs.
On the con side, writing a cd isnt as simple as a regular drive.

(BTW, please keep line widths < 80 col in e-mail)

Mike Holland <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>            Perth, Australia.
                          --==--
	"Disraeli was pretty close: actually, there are Lies, Damn lies,
	 Statistics, Benchmarks, and Delivery dates."