[plug] Debain queries....

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Tue Jul 27 12:58:53 WST 1999

On Tue, Jul 27, 1999 at 11:29:14AM +0800, dynamix wrote:
> I had to install a Ps2 mouse as I cant get my serial mouse to work.
[...]

It may be that you're running gpm, and that's "stealing" the mouse port
before X gets a chance to look at it. You can make them work together,
but for the moment try "dpkg --remove gpm".

[...]
> Finally sound.
> I have a AWE64 ISA sound card.
> as I was installing Debian I noticed a message about configuring sound using  /usr/sbin/gomconfig

gomconfig is part of the gom package - you can find that out by reading
the compressed Contents-i386.gz file in your Debian distribution. It seems
like it's just a mixer program. (lets you raise and lower the volume,
change the left/right balance, set the recording level, that sort of
thing) It'll only be useful _after_ you've got everything else working.

To get sound up and running, you'll need to configure your kernel first.
Check out the Sound HOWTO (in /usr/doc/HOWTO if you installed the
doc-linux-html or doc-linux-text package, or at ;
http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/Sound-HOWTO.html
)

This could be tricky the first time - bring your machine in for a PLUG
"bazaar" meeting next month (you just missed the last one) if you want
some help.

Nick.

--
  Nick Bannon  | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick at it.net.au | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal