[plug] Debain queries....

bk bk at bofh.ns.ca
Tue Jul 27 20:44:53 WST 1999

On Tue, Jul 27, 1999 at 11:29:14AM +0800, dynamix wrote:
> hi peoples...a couple of question for the Debian guru's out there.

slink or potato? me assumes slink.

> I had to install a Ps2 mouse as I cant get my serial mouse to work.
> My ports are all ok and working.
> my modem is happening on ttyS1
> and my mouse is on ttyS0 but it will not  work.
> I ran and reran the xconfig/setup files but no help.
> as soon as I plugged in my ps2 mouse and ran xconfig again ..viola a mouse.
> obviously I have support built in to the kernel.

stock kernel or recompiled? Make sure that 'serial' is loaded but that
should be taken care of when setserial is started.

I'm not sure if you need gpm loaded before X but I always have it loaded.

> Also as far as the internet goes..I have setup my resolv.conf file and wvdial.
> I can connect ok. ppp is ok BUT
> I can only FTP...WWW and even PING when I type in the DNS number.
> if I want to go to Debian.org  have to type in 209.81.8.242
> or I get an error saying host is not found....
> and I cannot send or receive mail.....
> weird huh?

I asked someone about /etc/resolv.conf why there was a missing line. They
replied that it's taken care of automatically with glibc2.0 (or 2.1) but I
don't believe them anyway. Here's the solution: make sure you have
'domain' and 'nameserver' lines in resolv.conf.

 > > Finally sound.
> I have a AWE64 ISA sound card.

This machine I'm mailing the message from has an AWE64 ISA card.
> as I was installing Debian I noticed a message about configuring sound using  /usr/sbin/gomconfig
> however it doesn't exist.. I even tried various typo derivatives of 'gomconfig' ( I.e. gomcnfig,gomconfg) incase I had it wrong.
> but it says command not found.

gomconfig? is that redhat related or gtk/x ?
> What is it that you use to set up sound..

What I used? an editor and modprobe :)

I've setup ALSA on this machine for the guy who owns it, remotely

-David (bk at bofh.ns.ca).