[plug] Time & Task Management Tool

Trevor Phillips phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au
Tue Jun 1 11:29:29 WST 1999

John Breen wrote:

> what exactly do you mean time & task management?  are we talking the
> full gantt charts (we had gnatt charts at uni), or just a reasonably
> simple interface/

Simple and Powerful. ^_^
"gantt" or "gnatt" ?? I don't know the specifics, coz we've never had to
do this before (Uni work environments being pretty casual; it ain't the
pay we work here for -_^).

Basically there's all this talk of accountability, and so we need to
track what we do, which means recording what we do, how long it took
(say, to a granularity of 15 minutes), etc ...
That way, you can look at someone's work, and see where their time is
going.

It makes sense from a resource management view (which is what they're
after), and I can envisage a product to do it; but I haven't found it
yet.

It's also handy if such a task log can reference other data-sources
describing the objects/resources involved.

In summary:
  - Task log (I did this when)
  - Task list (This is what I have to do and time estimates)
  - Resource data (When I did this, it was related to these resources)

I think the product itself could be kept fairly simple, and versatile,
and then the configuration and back-end expanded to suit a particular
work environment.

> I would imagine there would need to be a fairly simple database backend
> (perhaps Oracle, if I ever get a copy...?), with a web server and some
> CGI sitting on top of it.  shouldn't take _too_ long....

My view precisely, except I'd develop with MySQL (tho the Uni is
Oracle), and make it a FastCGI or Apache Module (Perl). ^_^

> I'd like to look at developing something, and have been meaning to for
> ages, but timeframe might be restrictive....

Perhaps we could do a joint-project?? ^_^

: CWIS Technical Officer         -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :