ANZ, was Re: [plug] Star Office and 5.1 and the registration

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Fri Jun 4 13:07:18 WST 1999

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

On 6/4/99, 12:47:09 PM, Mike Holland <myk at golden.wattle.id.au> wrote
regarding ANZ, was Re: [plug] Star Office and 5.1 and the registration:

> On Fri, 4 Jun 1999, Bret Busby wrote:

> > Does that include the wonderful method of security (?) developed by
> > the ANZ Internet banking facility (shut out everyone who does not have
> > IE 4 or IE5, and tell those who can access the facility, that 128 bit
> > encryption applies, regardless of the ability of their browser?)

> I have recently use ANZ from Netscape 4.51 on Linux.
> No problems, except being slow. Nothing special to do.
> What method do they use?  A java encryption program?

I cannot get the facility to work, apart from with IE4, on windows. I
have tried with Star Office, and with Netscape, on Linux, and with IE4
on WinNT. One of their staff tried to walk me through using the
facility with Netscape, on Linux, but, basically, was unfamiliar with
Netscape. The facility was apparently designed for IE4 and IE5.

You appear to be one of the few, lucky people, who can get it to work,
with a browser other than IE.
For me, I have to reboot into WinNT, and create a new Internet
connection, to use the facility.

The facility extensively uses javascript, and the staff have advised
me that the facility is not regarded as working properly with any
browser, other than IE. They said that anyone who can get it working
with Netscape, has had problems with slowness.

They said that Linux, MacOS, and any other operating system other than
windows, is not supported.

Regarding the encryption, they did not explain, but merely said that,
regardless of the degree of encryption enabled on a user's browser, as
their server uses 128 bit encryption, then all the secure
communication, occurs with 128 bit encryption.

Bret Busby