[plug] Star Office 5.1 browser problem

Christian christian at global.net.au
Thu Jun 10 10:19:56 WST 1999

Bret Busby wrote:

> A 200 MB email application seems to be somewhat of a dinosaur in a tar
> pit.
>
> Star Division aren't worth contacting - they have already shown that
> they are indeed competing with M$, in everything, including not
> responding to queries. In that, they have shown themselves to be at a
> level surpassing M$. I can get answers from M$, sometimes.

So don't use it. :)  There are lots of decent email clients out there
for Linux now.  Netscape Messenger is probably the most fully featured
but the GNOME Balsa client isn't that far behind (plus looks cool too).
XFMail I believe is also quite advanced (although last time I checked it
used the awful xforms library).  Plus there are plenty advanced
console-based clients (although I'm not going to mention any in case I
start a holy war.)  Do a search on www.freshmeat.net and play around
with some different email clients until you find one which matches your
requirements.

I've kept Star Office installed on my machine just in case I ever need
to load an Excel spreadsheet or a Power Pointless presentation but,
other than that, there's nothing I'm going to use it for.  I mean, it
runs slower than a Windows application!  Word Perfect will fulfill all
your basic word processing requirements and Netscape is certainly a
better browser.  Why waste your time?

Regards,

Christian.