[plug] Fwd: Re: Computerworld article June 11, 1999

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Thu Jun 17 10:36:48 WST 1999

For any ISP's on the mailing list, and anyone else interested in the
Internet Oppression Bill, the following relates to the article on the
front page of the ComputerWorld, June 11, 1999, regarding Bernadette
Taylor's web site at http://www.bernadette.net

John Costello is the Editor of ComputerWorld.

This is a massively long message, but the web site appears to be
inaccessible in WA, so the content of the web site that appears to be
appropriate, is included. I have only the content as sent to me by
John Costello. I include all the material that has passed between me
and John Costello, about the web site.

Bret Busby

On 6/17/99, 5:51:11 AM, "John Costello" <John_Costello at idg.com.au> wrote
regarding Re: Computerworld article June 11, 1999:

> Bret,
> Here's the list!
> Regards,
> John

> THE BERNADETTE LIST
>                             AUSTRALIAN GOVERNMENT VIEWING PORN

> What I have created is a list of all the Australian Govt proxies that
have
> accessed my website. A single proxy represents the point
> at which a section of Govt accesses the Internet (just like your ISP
has a
> proxy and you all dial into it to get to the net) ... so there
> can be any number of individuals using the same proxy. What my list
does
> initially is demostrate that people are accessing adult
> natured web material from their Govt PCs during office hours. Now that
said
>  I do have the full detailed server logs which show
> exactly what these people are viewing.

> The list represents the inadequacy of filtering and monitoring systems
as
> used by the Govt. If they can still access my adult
> website from a Govt PC during office hours then the list shows that
proxy
> filters and supervision do not work ... yet they expect
> ISPs to do it right the first time or pay a fine (where they are still
> failing). There is nothing illegal about them accessing my site of
> course ... but what do you think about them looking at porn during
working
> hours at YOUR expense while telling you that for the
> sake of your children you can't see what you wish to?

> The proxy/domain list below is here as reference for the benefit of
both
> webmasters and Govt IT people. I would call on other
> webmasters to forward me any details of access by these and any other
> gov.au proxies on their system. Now that I have made
> Senator Alston's office aware of this matter I'm almost certain he'll
want
> to ensure his integrity and insist upon leading Australia
> by example. I'll be closely monitoring my site (and those co-operating
with
>  me) to see whether viewing porn decreases during
> working hours, stays the same or gets worse. Here's the first list.

>                                             THE LIST

> This information may change as the proxies are modified. I'm still
> completeing the table so bear with me. The most amazing thing
> about this table is that the worst offender is the State of Tasmania
> Senator Harradine's State ... Australian's will know the
> [...]

Department
> of Education, Training and

> Youth Affairs
>  digger1.defence.gov.au
>                            203.5.217.4
>                                             mpi at spirit.com.au

> Department of Defence Australian

> Defence Force
>  dns.centrelink.gov.au
>                            203.13.13.70
>                                         webmaster at centrelink.gov.au

> Centrelink
>  doi-fire.doi.vic.gov.au
>                            203.34.63.249
>                                         paul.stewart at dpc.vic.gov.au

> Department of Infrastructure
>  dtfpx1.tres.tas.gov.au
>                           147.109.145.29
>                                          webmaster at tres.tas.gov.au

Department
>  of Treasury and Finance
>  esk.nt.tas.gov.au
>                            202.7.15.14
>                                                   -
>                                                                   This
was
> a test site ... no comment
>  franklin.nt.tas.gov.au
>                            202.7.15.11
>                                                   -

> Networking Tasmania Website
>  gatekeeper.airservices.gov.au
>                            168.132.1.1
>                                         webmaster at airservices.gov.au

> Airservices Australia
>  gatekeeper.hahs.nsw.gov.au
>                            203.1.32.10
>                                          servicensw at oit.nsw.gov.au

NSW
> Government
>  gordon.nt.tas.gov.au
>                            202.7.15.10
>                                                   -

> Networking Tasmania Website
>  gw.au.csc.net
>                            203.0.101.2
>                                                   -

>   -
>  gw.qed.qld.gov.au
>                            203.104.2.5
>                                        Web.Manager at qed.qld.gov.au

> Education Queensland
>  gw1.cs.nsw.gov.au
>                            152.76.0.130
>                                           pkh at isdr.cs.nsw.gov.au

Central
> Sydney Area Health Service
>  highway.roads.vic.gov.au
>                            149.176.253.1

>  inside.slnsw.gov.au
>                            202.0.106.130
>                                            web at slnsw.gov.au

State
> Library of New South Wales
>  lscgate.latrobe.vic.gov.au
>                           203.36.152.114

La
> Trobe Shire Council
>  marconi.dca.gov.au
>                            203.9.193.32
>                                           webmaster at dcita.gov.au

> Australian Department of

> Communication, Information

> Technology and the Arts

> ALSTON'S OWN OFFICE
>  mulder.toowoomba.qld.gov.au
>                            203.102.71.42
>                                       webmaster at toowoomba.qld.gov.au

> Toowoomba City Council
>  mulga.bs.wa.gov.au
>                            167.30.10.120
>                                           hotline at cams.wa.gov.au

Contract
> and Management Services,

> Western Australia
>  par115.aph.gov.au
>                            202.14.81.131

> Parliamentary Library
>  pc0.westrail.wa.gov.au
>                           202.14.133.129
>                                          westrail at westrail.wa.gov.au

Western
> Australian Government

> Railways Commission
>  proxy.ea.gov.au
>                            155.187.2.11
>                                             info at erin.gov.au

Department
>  of the Environment and

> Hertiage
>  pz512.parliament.tas.gov.au
>                           147.109.160.137
>                                        Feedback at parliament.tas.gov.au

> Parliament of Tasmania
>  ron8.uk.emb.gov.au
>                                -
>                                                   -

British

tol.editor at central.tased.edu.au

Telstra
> Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race
> [...]

Investment,
>  Trade and Development of

> Tasmania
>  www.cs.tas.gov.au
>                            202.7.15.246
>                                          web-admin at cs.tas.gov.au

Computing

ballot.box at electoral.tas.gov.au

> Tasmanian Electoral Office
>  www.electricityregulator.tas.gov.au
>                            202.7.15.239
>                                            otter at tres.tas.gov.au

Office of

phillipsg at mailnet.hcc.tas.gov.au

> Hobart City Council
>  www.justice.tas.gov.au
>                            202.7.15.229
>                                         webmaster at justice.tas.gov.au

Tasmania

comments at lcredistribution.tas.gov.au

> Legislative Council Electoral

Boundaries
>  Redistribution Committee
>
  &
> Tribumal
>  www.maib.tas.gov.au
>                            202.7.15.220
>                                         webmaster at maib.tas.gov.au
>                                                                 The
Motor
> Accidents Insurance Board
>
(MAIB) a
> Tasmanian Government

> Business Enterprise
>  www.mrt.tas.gov.au
>                            202.7.15.251
>                                           mrtweb at mrt.tas.gov.au

Mineral
> Resources Tasmania (MRT) is
> Division of the Department of

> Infrastructure, Energy and Resources
>  www.oaa.tas.gov.au
>                                -
>                                                   -

>   -
>  www.oepc.tas.gov.au
>                            202.7.15.226
>                                                   -

> http://www.oepc.tas.gov.au/
>  www.osr.tas.gov.au
>                            202.7.15.202
>                                           sportrec at osr.tas.gov.au

Office

institute.sport at central.tased.edu.au

> Tasmanian Institute of Sports
>  www.tmag.tas.gov.au
>                            202.7.15.203
>                                          tmagmail at tmag.tas.gov.au
>                                                                   The
> Tasmanian Museum and Art

> Gallery
>  www.tmd.tas.gov.au
>                            202.7.15.245
>                                          web-admin at tmd.tas.gov.au

> Telecommunications Management

Division, A
>  division of the Department
>                                                                   of
> Premier and Cabinet Tasmania
>  www.tourism.tas.gov.au
>                            202.7.15.249
>                                         webmaster at tourism.tas.gov.au

> Tourism Tasmania
>  www.transport.tas.gov.au
>                            202.7.15.238
>                                          webmaster at dot.tas.gov.au

Department
>  of Infrastructure, Energy
>                                                                  and
> Resources - Transport Division,

State
> Government of Tasmania
>  www.wtc.tas.gov.au
>                            202.7.15.234
>                                        mark.dabner at courier.tas.gov.au

West
> Tamar Council Web Site
>  www2.transport.tas.gov.au
>                            202.7.15.221
>                                          webmaster at dot.tas.gov.au

Department
>  of Infrastructure, Energy
>                                                                   and
> Resources, Transport Division
>  wwwtest.tmd.tas.gov.au
>                                -
>                                                   -
>                                                                  This
is
> interesting ... who gets to test

> equipment?

> Bret Busby <bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au> on 16/06/99 14:16:19

> To:   John Costello/Australia/IDG
> cc:

> Subject:  Re: Computerworld article June 11, 1999

> Hello.

> Thanks for your assistance.

> What I was seeking, was the information about the government
> departments that had accesssed her "pornographic" web site, as
> mentioned in the article, which information I was going to post on a
> local mailing list, to which I subscribe, and which mailing list has
> been discussing the Internet Oppression Bill.

> Whilst the text that you sent me is not what I was seeking, it is
> nevertheless appeciated.

> The mailing list subscribers, include several small ISP's, who, I
> believe, would be interested in the text that you have sent me.

> I have just tried to visit the web site again, and have obtained the
> same screen, again, and I note that it does not include an email
> address.

> Thus, I ask whether you could either extract the information from the
> web site, about the government departments that have accessed the web
> site, or, send an email to the site webmaster, asking them to contact
> me about the web site.

> I think it is not good web site design to not include an email
> address, on a web site that is as significant, as I believe this one
> could be.

> Thanks for your help.

> Bret Busby

The
> [...]
minute.
> Please do your community one favour and do it now. Make sure your
friends,
> who may not know the Net as well as you, know that their children will
be
> at far greater risk ... NOT safe as the government would lead you to
> believe.
> How Do You Beat This (this section still under construction)
> Obviously it's important to lobby Govt (both ours AND foreign) ... and
the
> EFA are doing a great job of this. However, personally, I've never
found
> that to be all too effective. I find that very few listen to opinion
unless
> it supports them. My approach is somewhat different.
> This Bill relies on making ISPs do everything technically feasible to
block
> offensive material ... so let's make it easy for you to make it
technically
> impossible for them to block you. This can be done at both the user
level
> and the web master level.
> For Web Masters:
> 1. The first and most obvious thing is to run your webserver on
multiple
> ports. Proxy filters typically run on just port 80 or 8080. Try to
select 6
> ports over 3000 ... my favorite is 6969. Tell your members now what
those
> ports will be (or where they can find them) and of course how to add a
port
> number to a URL.
> 2. Establish a VPN server for your paid members or for the general
public
> and sell advertising space ... a nice big guarenteed audience should
bring
> in some good dollars.
> 3. One I'm not sure about, but seems to work on some proxies is the
pragma
> tag ... <meta http-equiv="Pragma" content="no-cache"> ... in theory this
> should affect just the browser cache, but it seems to get past proxies
too.
> Place this in the header of all your HTML just in case ... it's
probably a
> good idea to do anyway if you update your site frequently.
> 4. Set up a mailing list for your viewers. Create two seperate lists
> those that want encrypted mail and those that want plain mail. I do
not
> advocate spamming by any means ... be certain the mail you send out
goes to
> the people who ask for it. The best way is with mail scripts where the
user
> has to email you a notice with JOIN in the subject line so you can be
sure
> the person that asked to join is getting the mail.
> 5. Here's one that I just love ... set up your whole website on a
Secure
> Server (SSL) so the whole damned thing is encrypted .. not just the
credit
> card pages! ... If they can't read it they can't filter it. See
Verisign
> For Web Users:
> Note that the law doesn't say you can't do whatever you want to get
around
> the ISP ... it just says that they have to do their best to stop you.
> 1. Visit the PGP website and learn everything there is to know about
> encryption. It sounds complicated but it's actually really easy and
> probably a good idea these days anyhow. Use it on at least email. Your
ISP
> will be completely helpless as it's impossible to decrypt without your
> passwords.
> 2. Identify a VPN server in countries like the US and join up to it
(or
> even a friend in a foreign country with Win NT set up with VPN).
Windows 98