[plug] HELP::a funny thing happened on the way to the kernel....

Christian christian at global.net.au
Fri Jun 18 10:50:25 WST 1999

dynamix wrote:

> mmm..lp0 is there and working as I said its weird I can print from native
> red hat programs from word perfect
> but not from Netscape or star office but kde finds the printer....
> the kernel is 2.2.7
> lpd seems to be fine
> any ideas as to what print command I can use in Netscape and staroffice to
> print to lp0????

lp0 the port? (/dev/lp0) or lp0 as the name of a printer?  I haven't
been following your problem closely so excuse me if I have
misinterpreted the question.

If you want to setup your printer to print on the lp0 port then just
edit your /etc/printcap file and set:
	lp=/dev/lp0
for the appropriate printer.  printcap(5) has more information and don't
forget to restart lpd.

If instead you're trying to print to a printer called "lp0" (ie, one
with an entry in your /etc/printcap) then you can specify this printer
on the command line when running lpr:
lpr -Plp0

The Printing HOWTO (http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/pht) has more
information which will probably prove helpful, as do the manual pages.
Once again, if I've misunderstood your question and stated the
blindingly obvious then you'll have to excuse me.

Regards,

Christian.

                					- Henry Spencer