[plug] Hello?

Trevor Phillips phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au
Thu Mar 4 09:26:06 WST 1999

Matt Kemner wrote:

> I received your messages, but I think the trouble is noone here really
> knows the answer, nor has been willing to take a stab at it.

Well, at least one "don't have a clue" message would've helped. ^_^;;

> Maybe the mention of "HP" scared everyone off. ;)

*rofl*
I used to love 'em, used to be the only UNIX system I could deal with. Now,
though, I'm too far out of the loop to deal with their idiosyncracies. ^_^
I've had more grief with them than I've posted to this list, too. *sigh*
(Anyone know any HP-UX11 resources online?? ^_^;;)

> Personally I have no idea if you can set the BackSpace and Delete keycodes
> from the server end, other than maybe /etc/X11/Xmodmap rather than
> ~/.Xmodmap

I posted another message detailing the problem. When starting X, I was getting
the error:
Error:            Cannot open "/var/X11R6/xkb/compiled/server-0.xkm" to write
keyboard description

I tracked it down to it trying to create that file in a read-only directory
(complicated by NFS-Root Read Only mounting. ^_^)
Still, 3 systems, and all were different!!

With the xkbcomp working, it maps backspace and delete to the two variants, so
even if I end up in a strange terminal, one or the other will work.

> Mine contains the lines:
>
> keycode 22 = BackSpace
> keycode 107 = Delete
> keycode 115 = osfSelect
> keycode 116 = osfActivate
> keycode 117 = osfMenu
>
> The latter three lines enabling me to bind those otherwise worthless
> "microsoft keys" on my keyboard to useful functions.

Cool!! Could be worth binding 'em to something. ^_^

> As for a recommendation for an IMAP Mail reader, pine in an rxvt would be
> my choice.

*sigh*
*wonders if there are any Perl IMAP libraries yet*

> I can't help you with your KDE browser problem, because I only started
> looking at KDE yesterday (got it running on my Sparc Classic.. looks good,
> but haven't made up my mind if I like it yet :)

I like it better than CDE. ^_^

> I think for general web pages, Netscape or Mozilla are going to be the go
> for a little while yet.

Yeah, I did a bit of research at Mozilla.org yesterday; The next gen Mozilla
stuff looks great!! Complete renderer (HTML, XML, CSS, JS, etc ...) in a 1.4
meg module adaptible to any app!! I wonder if KDE will use the Mozilla renderer
when it's more polished...

> Your Samba/KDE query might be best asked to the KDE community.

Yeah, I think it's time to hunt for some KDE mail lists...

> >   - It's privileged info, and not to be dished out till I'm a fully
> > initiated Clan member
>
> Well there's that too.. You're not an initiated Clan member until you've
> fragged the president at the Global Warriors games night to be had at the
> end of this month *grin*

Oh, is THAT all! ^_^
Still, I've had enough probs with my home PC lugging it to friends places
nearby, let alone lugging it on that great exodus to the other side of the
river. ^_^ It's currently "reclining" on my desk, with the Jaz drive running
free (damn buggy Jaz drives...)

What're the games of the time? Quake2? Many of you lot active on-line gamers??
I'm a co-founder (and leader when none of the rest want the responsibility) of
Clan Nexus, primarily a Quake2 clan, altho we've been a bit quiet this year.
Hanging out for Q3A. ^_^

: CWIS Technical Officer         -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :