[plug] Samba w/NT

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Mon Mar 8 10:25:08 WST 1999

On Mon, 8 Mar 1999, Greg Raftery wrote:

> Hello Folks,
>
> Apologies if this has hit the list twice.
>
> I have just installed NT and can't connect to my Linux gateway using
> \\hostname\hostshare. This works fine under 95, but I keep getting
> asked for a password in NT.
>
> Does anyone have any pointers?

Win NT is useing encrypted passwords .... you have 2 options based on you
situation.

1: Tell WinNT to use plain text passwords
2: Tell Linux to use encrypted passwords

If you do option 2 Win95 *should* pick up the changes.

All the information you need will be in you samba docs
/usr/doc/samba-<ver>/  (under RedHat, somewhere similar under other distros)

> Also, it not particularly important, but has anyone successfully got
> their Linux box to show in the network neighbourhood?

.... Yes ... in order to make it work I need to have ALL machines in the same
workgroup BUT I didn't look at it very hard :(

Yours Tony.