[plug] UPS's with Linux support

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Wed Mar 10 10:17:23 WST 1999

Paul Wilson wrote:
> (while we're on the subject, why do the suppliers claim that Linux/UNIX
> needs a different serial cable from Win9x/NT ?)

The Unix one isn't wide enough to fit the bugs down? (-:

I suspect that many unices _require_ various forms of hardware
handshaking (like the DOS COM#: drivers). Linux, and many other modern
unices, can do a setserial /dev/cua# -drtscts command (or near
equivalent) and rely on the buffers being big enough...

--
"The liberty of the individual must be thus far limited; he must not
 make a nuisance of himself to other people." -- John Stuart Mill