[plug] RH, RPM, and Drivespace

Peter Scully scully at penguin.net.au
Wed Mar 10 16:25:38 WST 1999

Richard Wiffen wrote:

> Couple of quick questions...
>
> I picked up the APC Pocketbook version of RH 5.2 the other day, and I'm
> getting prepared to wipe out my old (circa 1996) Slackware installation.
>
> Has anyone else had any trouble with the APC Pocketbook?  I gather from APC's
> website that it's pretty reliable.

I'm not sure, as the Pocketbook was my first and only experience with Linux, but
quite a few things are broken, e.g. xearth mentioned in the Pocketbook doesn't
work.  If you are experienced with Linux the couple of errors in the book
shouldn't bother you, but you'll probably find, like me that it only goes far
enough to set up Linux and get you started, you'll need another book if you want
to get anywhere.  Thanks to ifriends, I picked up "Running Linux" (O'Reilly) and
it's got me up and running, now I just need to find out how to fix the stuff that
doesn't work...

<snip>