[plug] ($750) Corporate memberships

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Fri Mar 12 10:06:25 WST 1999

Peter Caffin wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Mar 1999, Leon Brooks wrote:
> > > I also doubt whether we will get any corporate members at $50 when
> > > individuals can join for $10. Rather what will happen is the company
> > > will get the employee to join as an individual and reimburse then the
> > > $10. They have costs to control as well and they are no fools.

> > Why is this important? From my POV, it's being penny-wise and
> > pound-foolish. Most real-world business managers are also bright enough
> > to understand this. Corporate membership could in that light be regarded
> > as a minor intelligence test.

> "Corporate member of the Perth Linux Users Group"

> A status symbol? I can see it.

It would have to be the Perth Linux Users Society, then everyone would
count it a PLUS...

> I reckon we should design a nifty PLUG logo and charge $750 for corporate
> membership. That way, corporations who want to impress other corporations
> will use PLUG corportate membership as a status symbol, much as they use
> MCSE qualifications, the WA "birthmark", ISO9000, etc :).

No! Nooooooooooo! (-:

A simple penguin tie-pin would be nice. Perhaps a Dilbert PHB tie pin
with "PHB compliant" around the edge as well, to keep things in
perspective?

--
My parents keep asking how school was.  It's like saying, 'How was
that drive-by shooting?'  You don't care how it _was_, you're lucky