[plug] Gnome + Enlightenment + X Windows

Adrian Blockley blockley at murdoch.edu.au
Sun Mar 21 23:27:12 WST 1999

On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, Trevor Phillips wrote:

> The other missing app is a decent powerful text editor. kwrite is getting
> there, but I still prefer the feel of TextPad (shareware for Windoze). And
> don't go on about the power of vi. I know vi very well; I still find it less
> efficient than others. Maybe "comfort" and "intuitiveness" are the things I
> need...
>
> (Hey, um, whatsyername! Mark! What was that GUI VI you were telling me about at
> the last PLUG meeting?) (Are you on this list?? ^_^;;)
>
> It's sad; I'll use Linux to do my work, but 9 times out of 10 I'll give up in
> frustration and reboot into Win98 for one reason or another.

I am sure there are a number of very good text editors for unix out there.
My own favourite is nedit.  This has a number of very useful features such
as syntax highlighting for most languages, the ability to select and drag
columns of text and a very useful macro language. As with most things Unix
it is very configurable. Another editor that I have tried and found very
useful but a little too complex for my own use was xemacs. A lot of
programmers swear by emacs others find it a bit too ambitious.

Good luck

Adrian