[plug] Gnome + Enlightenment + X Windows

Matt Kemner zombie at networx.net.au
Wed Mar 17 09:15:24 WST 1999

On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, Trevor Phillips muttered about GUI editors and VNC:

For a GUI Vi try "vim -g"
(although you still need to know how to use vi to use it so it's not
_that_ much of a GUI)

> It's sad; I'll use Linux to do my work, but 9 times out of 10 I'll give up in
> frustration and reboot into Win98 for one reason or another.

Have you tried wine? If worst came to worst, if all you wanted to do is
run wordpad.exe, I'm sure that particular app runs _flawlessly_ under
Wine.

> BTW: I mentioned VNC at the last PLUG meeting and was rewarded by blank looks
> by most people. Don't many people know about this wonderful thing??

<BOFH>
I think it's great for playing tricks on work experience kids >:->
(send them running, screaming, to the boss insisting their computer is
possessed)
</BOFH>
Seriously though, atm I have my Sparc Classic set up with xvncviewer so my
boss (who's in charge of the games servers) can admin them without needing
to find a monitor & keyboard to plug into them. I've even set up fvwm95
for him so he gets little buttons called "crash" and "burn" (the hostnames
of the NT games servers) so all he has to do is click them and type the
vnc password. (I was running KDE on my K6, remote displaying on the
classic but it slowed down my x11amp mp3 player and we can't have that :)
I might try to compile KDE for Sparc one day. :) (when I've got a spare
fortnight)

 - Matt