[plug] Re: VNC (was Gnome + Enlightenment + X Windows)

Trevor Phillips phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au
Thu Mar 18 08:42:00 WST 1999

Michael Hunt wrote:

> I've been using VNC for about 6 months now (mostly in an NT enviro). and
> have found it to be an excellent tool easy to use and configure if a bit
> resource hungry. (The newer version for NT fixes this though I think). There
> was a really great article about its use in thye Linux Journal not long back
> and it give some very good hints for running it in a Linux enviro. I think
> it would be an interesting topic to discuss and compare the merits of VNC
> with say running an Xserver with a redirected display.

After posting that info, I headed to the site myself and ended up at
their previous product's homepage:
   http://www.uk.research.att.com/teleport/
Labelled "The Teleporting System", it's a way to move X applications
from one display to another, via a Proxy X Server. I don't know many
details about it, but it sounds interesting. ^_^

: CWIS Technical Officer         -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :