[plug] Internet oppression - watch your backs!

Christian christian at global.net.au
Tue May 4 21:45:58 WST 1999

alex polglaze wrote:

> Rob Hall wrote:
>
> > You say that they might find Linux objectionable... can I stop laughing
> > now...  I think common-sense tells us that this is not the spirit of the
> > legislation nor what will happen.

I'm not opposed, in general, to governments providing protection for
it's citizens.  What I am opposed to is a government doing the thinking
for its citizens.  When the government says "We're going to ban
objectionable material on the Internet" a lot of people think "Great!"
because they think of all the things they find objectionable and they
think "That's good, all that stuff won't be there anymore and neither I
nor anyone else will have to put up with running into it from time to
time."  Of course this is a naive point of view because what one person
finds "objectionable" another may find perfectly acceptable.

When the government classifies and rates films, that's ok.  They are
placing that film on a scale however the scale they use is an interval
scale, that is, with an abitrary zero point.  The result is that I can
look at a film's rating and decide whether I'm likely to find that film
acceptable by corresponding that point on their scale with my own
sensitivities.  Even though the government has classified it, I still
make the decision.

When the government however says they are going to censor something,
then I object.  When they tell me that I'm not able to make that
decision for myself as to whether I will find it acceptable, *that* I
don't accept.  I'm an adult and no different from the censor who watches
the banned film - why should he tell me I'm unable to deal with that
film?

The same principle applies to the Internet.  If I don't want to see
something that I find objectionable, then I won't *choose* to go and see
that.  But when the government says that it's going to make that
decision for me, then I have to say that I don't accept that.

Of course, it is unlikely that the government would say, for example,
that Linux was objectionable.  It's probably extremely unlikely... even
under a Liberal government...(*grin*)  However the principle is the same
- it should be up to each adult individual to decide what is acceptable
for them and what is not.

Of course, with children there is an extra issue involved - but
seriously, if a parent wants to protect their child from certain things
that exist in the world, it is their responsibility to make sure this
happens.

Regards,

Christian.