[plug] inetd

Matt Kemner zombie at networx.net.au
Wed May 5 14:51:49 WST 1999

On Wed, 5 May 1999, Rob Hall wrote:

> Computer A works like a treat.  It allows telnet from iinet and my local net
> and rejects everything else.
> Computer B doesn't work properly.  It actually rejects all incoming
> connections.  I can't even ping the server from iinet.  Also, it allows
> communication over the local net, but will not let anything go outside to
> the internet.

That sounds more like a routing/firewalling problem.
How do the machines connect to the 'net?  When you test out computer B, do
you set it up in place of computer A with the same IP address etc?

When you say it rejects all incoming connections, what message do you get?
connection refused? you get a connection but it drops out within a second?
you get host unreachable?

One easy way to check if your hosts.allow and hosts.deny files are
rejecting the connectons is to check your syslog files in /var/log/

 - Matt