[plug] inetd

Rob Hall rhall at echidna.stu.cowan.edu.au
Wed May 5 15:22:37 WST 1999

That was my thoughts, but if I remove hosts.allow and hosts.deny all works
fine.  I did have a firewall installed, but removed it to trace what was
causing this.  I have temporarily set the default policy as masquerade at
boot up.

> How do the machines connect to the 'net?  When you test out computer B, do
> you set it up in place of computer A with the same IP address etc?

Both have the same ip address (10.0.0.1) but a different hostname.  Computer
B uses diald to dial up, computer A has a script that I call when I want the
connection.

> When you say it rejects all incoming connections, what message do you get?
> connection refused? you get a connection but it drops out within a second?
> you get host unreachable?

Ping just sits there until I cancel it.  Telnet says "unable to establish a
connection" or something similar.

> One easy way to check if your hosts.allow and hosts.deny files are
> rejecting the connectons is to check your syslog files in /var/log/

Can't find any rejections here.

Rob