[plug] Internet oppression - watch your backs!

skribe skribe at amber.com.au
Wed May 5 19:18:43 WST 1999

On 05-May-99 Matt Bruce wrote:
> Two thoughts:
>
> 1. Why can an extremely conservative politician who stands for all
>    things 1950s and women in the kitchen only receive ~20,000 votes, yet
>    run the country? Can't happen, you say? Can you say "Brian Harradine"?

He only has power as long as the Dems and Labour give it to him.  He really
only has one vote just like every other senator its just that in some
situations he has the deciding vote.  I don't see a problem with this.
Technically every senator, member or voter has the deciding vote.  As for the
number of votes to get into the senate, he may have received only 20,000 primary
votes but that is only one factor in a preferential voting system. He had to
receive over 44,000 votes to win a seat in the senate.  Every senator in
Tasmania does.  BTW in WA it requires about 140,000 votes to win a seat in the
Unrepresentative Swill =).

> 2. Why can one politician push a ludicrous Bill through Parliament, yet
>    it takes more than 20,000 people to get that buck-toothed, hick law
>    rescinded? And only then if they're lucky.

Simply because it take more that 20,000 people to give that politician power.
I suggest you read up on how our preferential voting and parliamentary system
work.  You're dropping into `I didn't get what I wanted' rhetoric.
---
skribe <skribe at amber.com.au>

Faith is under the left nipple.
                -- Martin Luther