[plug] Debian 2.1 slink

Matt Kemner zombie at networx.net.au
Tue May 11 13:39:46 WST 1999

On Tue, 11 May 1999, GB wrote:

> Was going to ask you for a copy of Slink 2.1, but I've just checked the kernel
> release..  It only ships with 2.0.35, according to
> http://www.debian.org/releases/slink/i386/release-notes/ch-whats-new.en.html

It ships with 2.2.X as well - just install the kernel image.
But as Jamie pointed out, whatever kernel is on the CD, is bound to be
obsolete already, because we are up to 2.2.7 already.

Debian has kernel-image-2.2.5 available as a package so you can just type
"apt-get install kernel-image-2.2.5" and it will download and install it
for you.

You are by far better off downloading your own kernel and compiling that,
though - it will end up being faster and smaller, and it will be easier to
keep up to date with the latest.

It's not that hard, really.

 - Matt