[plug] Modem troubles

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Thu May 13 14:50:54 WST 1999

Hi, Brad.

At 14:16 13/05/99 +0800, you wrote:

  << snip >>

>When I use my modem I have to unplug the wall socket and then plug it
>back in to get a dial tone.  It seems that the modem is not hanging up
>properly and so I cannot terminate a call to start a new one.  This is

Sounds to me like there are too many devices (or too many loads) on your
'phone line.  I think I'm on the right track here...  There is a figure
called the REN, Ringer Equivalence Number, and you are allowed 2 REN's per
'phoneline.  Most modern handsets, modems, fax machines, answering machines
run at about 0.8 or 0.9 REN so you can have two devices connected at any
one time.  In practice, I think the actual working REN is higher.  Older
devices (your replacement modem is an old one??) often had higher REN's as
far as I know.

If the load on the 'phoneline exceeds its capability, the chance of it
"hanging on" to the connection, which seems to be what's happening for you,
increases.  If the load is too great, there may not be enough energy down
the line to activate the instrument ringers -- you just don't get to be
aware of the incoming calls :-(

*IF* I'm on track here, try disconnecting any other instruments on the same
'phoneline.

Cheers,
Denis