[plug] re: web access and mail server

Greg Mildenhall greg at networx.net.au
Wed May 19 00:07:38 WST 1999

First of all, it should be noticed that Linux really is just a Unix in a
lot of ways, so it is capable of doing anything any other internet server
can do - most internet servers run Linux, anyway.

On Tue, 18 May 1999, Jon L. Miller wrote:
> I need to know the following:
> 1) can linux handle multiple domains
Ermmmm, domains have nothing whatsoever with an OS kernel.
You might have to be more specific about this.

> 2) I want to install a Linux server on a NetWare network to handle:
> a) all internet access to the ISP (IInet has a package called network
>    affilitate that gives us a permanent connection to the internet.
Yes, Linux can handle this regardless of what your ISP is doing.
How to work it into your ISPs setup will be dependent on what exactly this
"network affiliate" thing is, but I imagine our IInet members might be
able to help with that.

> b) all email to and from the internet
Not a problem at all. How to set it up depends on what addresses you want
to handle and how your ISP handles mail.

> c) all other remote sites will be dialing into the Novell server
>    (this can be the Linux server) to access e-mail and internet
>    access, is this possible with Linux?
It certainly is, presuming the Novell server you are dialling into is
capable of it. If not, then Linux handles dialin lines as good as any
other OS.

Generally the limits to what Linux can do are bounded by your imagination,
but the exact implementation depends on exactly how you want things to
work.

-Greg Mildenhall