[plug] Mail and IMAP server questions.

Christian christian at global.net.au
Thu May 20 16:19:45 WST 1999

John Summerfield wrote:

> I'm using cucipop (POP3)  as I see no benefit to me in using an IMAP
> service. At home, my personal mail is sorted by procmail into mh folders.
> Daughters and wife use netscape on Linux to read from the POP3 service..

It depends on your setup... if you have more than one machine then IMAP
is good because it means that your "users" can log in from any machine
and still have access to all their mail regardless.  Especially if the
machines dual-boot Windows and Linux then this is a huge advantage.  (or
does the setup you describe do this also in which case why not use IMAP
which was designed for the purpose?)

Another handy thing is the mod_roaming module for Apache which allows
your users to store their settings (mail filters, address book,
preferences, etc.) on a web server somewhere and download them for each
session.  I've installed this but haven't got it to authenticate
properly yet.  If anyone's cluey with Apache and/or mod_roaming then
please feel free to make suggestions...

Regards,

Christian.