[plug] Debian hamm --> slink upgrade tip

Jamie Moir moir at opera.iinet.net.au
Thu May 27 13:35:33 WST 1999

On Thu, 27 May 1999, Denis Brown wrote:

> Just in case anyone else is using Debian hamm release and intends to
> upgrade to slink, you might want to watch out for the following wrinkle and
> maybe save yourself some time...

upgrade to potato :P:P

> can't telnet into it (telnetd probably has a config file to be tickled.)

no, you need to install the telnetd package, lots of packages like
<something>-base and -std -etc were broken up so that individual
components could be altered without downloading all the contents of the
packages again

> The strange point about this, and the reason I mention it here, is that I
> had imagined that the original configuration (daemons, services, etc) would
> have been at least retained, if not enhanced.  So "caveat emptor" if moving
> between versions, it seems.

i thought that and other things were noted in an upgrade page, hrm

> I suspect that the antagonism towards incoming telnet connections has to do
> with the /etc/hosts.allow and hosts.deny files which I'll check on now.  If
> someone's already been this route and has another idea, I'd be grateful
> since it'd save me some time.

as mentioned above

jamie