[plug] Star Office and 5.1 and the registration

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Mon May 31 11:48:14 WST 1999

We have found that, when the .rc file ( I think it was), was changed,
the registration key did not work anymore, so Star Office had to be
re-installed. (AAAgh!)

When we tried to register the Star Office 5.1, it took us about half
an hour, or an hour, or whatever, to get the form to work, at the
stardivision.com site.

I do not know whether the registration form was faulty, but it
wouldn't go beyond the first form, where the details are entered, and
the "submit" key was selected. We just kept trying (stubbornly), and
my boss (!) said that it was her authoritative mouse bashing that
eventually did it.

Star Office 5.1 would not install, without entering the customer ID
and registration code, at the second screen, before it started
installing the software.

In the installation process, it informed us that, as we did not have
the java libraries installed, the java components of Star Office would
not be enabled. It did not say whether we would need to re-install
Star Office to enable the java components, or, what we would need to
do to either install the java libraries, or enable the java
components. (I am not sure that that is a bad thing, though; doesn't
java allow nasties to be downloaded, or operated, without the user
having much control, or, being aware?)

Whilst the software appears to have a facility for javascript, the
option to enable it is greyed out, so I assume that either with the
free version of Star Office 5.1, javascript is not available, or, it
just doesn't work.

This is unfortunate, given that the Star Office web site states "In
any case, we recommend you use a browser that supports JavaScript, as
this is used intensively on several pages."

Perhaps if they used something else (php would do the job, wouldn't
it?), it would make their web site compatible with their web browser,
but, unfortunately, they do not respond to email, at that web site,
from my experience.

I realise that it is free software, and that they indicate that they
do not provide support for the free software, but some queries were
about the versions for sale, and they could not be bothered either
acknowledging or responding, to email queries, relating to either
problems with the web site, or, with sales queries.

Thus, it may be okay to play around with, for free, but I think they
have a fair way to go, if they want to encourage people to buy the
software. If they did get their act together, perhaps, then, it could
compete with M$Office.

That's my tuppence ha'penny worth.

Bret Busby