[plug] PPP connection problems to Vianet

Paul Baumgarten paul at kcc.wa.edu.au
Wed Nov 3 12:19:20 WST 1999

Greg:

We use Vianet as our ISP here at the College.  We're using ISDN at the
moment for our gateway connection but when I was testing our link I used PPP
over a 56k modem and didn't have any problems setting it up.  I do think
their server uses PAP or CHAP (can't remember which).  Lucky I saved the
relevant config files before reformatting that server a couple of months
back.  Below is the PPP stuff I used to dial into Vianet at the time.

[root at sulu /etc/ppp]# cat chatscript
TIMEOUT 5
"" ATZ
OK ATDT92194444    ; dial in number for your isp
ABORT "NO CARRIER"
ABORT BUSY
ABORT "NO DIALTONE"
ABORT WAITING
TIMEOUT 45
CONNECT ""
TIMEOUT 5
ame:-BREAK-ame: myuserid
ssword: mypasswd

[root at sulu /etc/ppp]# cat chap-secrets
# Secrets for authentication using CHAP
# client        server  secret                  IP addresses
myuserid        *       mypasswd

[root at sulu /etc/ppp]# cat pap-secrets
# Secrets for authentication using PAP
# client        server  secret                  IP addresses
myuserid      *  mypasswd

Regards

Paul Baumgarten (email: paul at kcc.wa.edu.au)
Information Systems Manager
Kingsway Christian College
157 Kingsway, Landsdale, WA, 6065
Ph: +61 8 9409 7078
Fx: +61 8 9409 6179

>Hello,
>
>Does anyone on the list dialup to Vianet? I am having problems establishing
>my PPP connection, and my call to their support line resulted in lots of
>'umms' and 'ahhs', and 'i don't knows'.
>
>I am logging in manually via minicom, which is fine. I enter
>username/password and then I see the PPP garbage as per the PPP-HOWTO.
>
>I then manually bringing up the ppp interface with this command :
>
>pppd -d -detach /dev/cua1 &
>
>Which does nothing and then drops the connection. See below.
>
>>From the HOWTO, I was under the impression that if I can enter the
>username/password then PAP isn't being used, and the support bloke on the
>phone said it wasn't.
>
>In my log files, it seems PAP authentication is being requested by the
>dialin server. Is this what is happening? If so, is the pap-secrets file is
>the way to go?

[snip]