[plug] Linux halting at bootup

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Thu Nov 4 22:30:46 WST 1999

> At a guess I would say you are stretching your luck with 16 Megs of memory. I
>  dare
> say it CAN be done, but just how is a different matter. ou will certainly nee
> d to
> make you swap file as large as possible.

A big swap file isn't all that useful. Disk is a poor substitute for RAM;
if you have a big swap file and not enough RAM, programs just go slower
and slower and slower instead of dying. Death is less painful.

I used to run Red Hat Linux in 8 Mbytes, I currently have a machine
running with 16 and it does what's wanted of it just fine.

Time to worry about performance when it becomes an issue. Adding RAM's
easy, but pointless until the box is up and running.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield