[plug] Netscape & kde

Steve Grasso steveg at calm.wa.gov.au
Fri Nov 12 09:04:16 WST 1999

Peter,

Two ways to find a file under KDE:

1. Click "K" button and select "Find Files", then type "netscape" in
'Named' field and "/usr" in 'Look in' field and click File/Start Search

2. Open an xterm (click "K", select Utilities then Terminal) and type in
find /usr -name netscape then press Enter

If Netscape is installed, it's most likely in a directory under the
/usr/local directory, probably called netscape (I use Debian and I've put
Netscape in a non-default location so can't be more specific)

Take a note of where the netscape executable is eg. /usr/local/netscape

Two ways to run a file under KDE:

1. Click "K" button and select System then File Manager (may need to be root)
Type the path in the Location field eg. file:/usr/local/netscape and press
Enter, scroll the list of file icons until you find netscape and click on it

2. Open an xterm, change directory to where the executable file is eg. cd
/usr/local/netscape then typ the name of the executable eg. ./netscape

BTW, you can use the KDE File Manager to browse external sites as well as
files on your hard disk. Just type the URL into the Location box and press
Enter. (I don't believe it's Java or Java Script aware though)

Hope this helps,

Steve