[plug] MTA Comparison & Debian OpenSSH

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Sun Nov 21 08:01:58 WST 1999

> Hi all,
>
> I'm interested in getting opinions on the various MTAs out there (mainly
> sendmail, qmail and postfix) principally in regards to functionality and
> flexibility but also performance.  I know sendmail can pretty much do
> anything but at the same time is a bit of a resource-hog compared with
> qmail.  I'm not sure how postfix rates with regards to these two factors

I use sendmail at home. I'm not sure what folk mean by "resource-hog" in
this context - it's never drawn attention to itself unlike some other
software I use.

If you have no shortage of resources, there are better things to worry
about.

If you are short of resources, be sure sendmail's using a significant
proportion of them before bothering with it. More likely it's something
else.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield