[plug] Modems

Bill Cullen billc at wantree.com.au
Fri Nov 26 21:12:01 WST 1999

John Summerfield wrote:
> My IAP reckons USR roadsters work with his Netcom smartmodems, but he's
> also about to upgrade to 56k so who knows how good THAT advice is?

I've been using a USR Courier for years - upgraded it from 28.8K to
33.6K to 56K free. Never had any problems with it (and the external
volume control is great). The Navas Modem FAQ used to recommend
them (http://modemfaq.home.att.net/ - although this site is
getting pretty old and is also American). I don't think my Courier supports fax
though :-(

My current connection is at 49,333 and I've averaged about 46,565
this month. Over that time my average login time has been
0:11:08:19, minimum 0:00:01:11 and maximum 3:09:53:51 (thats
three days).

About three or four years ago I used to use a Netcomm Roadster
28K modem to dial work (another Netcomm Roadster). I used to
have problems with disconnects all the time. In the end I
swapped the modems for USR's which fixed the problem.

I would recommend that you stay away from internal modems
(everyone I know who has had one has had problems) and
especially stay away from Winmodems - one of the biggest heaps
of crap every perpetrated on gullible lusers (are there any
other kind).

Bill