[plug] SQL client query

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Mon Nov 29 23:35:21 WST 1999

> Am I correct in assuming that all SQL ODBC drivers will take the
> same calls, etc., so the VB front end won't need any re-programming,
> even if I do have to change drivers?

I assume you are aware of the PostgreSQL ODBC driver,
<URL:http://www.insightdist.com/psqlodbc/>.

As far as I recall (I tested this two years ago), you might discover
some incompatibilities between different ODBC drivers.  Some
applications only use the portable subset of ODBC functions, others
use application dependent functions, and will require porting before
they work with a different ODBC driver.

You will have to test your VB application to discover which function
it uses.

My experience was that most Windows programs use the portable subset.

I know nothing about the relative speed for PostgreSQL and MS SQL.
##>  Petter Reinholdtsen  <##  |  pere at td.org.uit.no