[plug] Using Crack 5.0

Ian Kent ian.kent at pobox.com
Tue Nov 30 23:28:45 WST 1999

Christian wrote:

> It's been awhile since I last used Crack so maybe I'm way off here but
> from your message it sounds like it is working correctly.  After you run
> Crack it puts the cracking process into the background -- check

Yes I remember Crack did a make on the fly and then put itself in the
background. It took me a while to realize it was actually running.

It often takes several days to run over a passwd file of over 1,000 entries
with the first most of the obvious cracked password in the first several
hours.

> ps/top/your load average to confirm that this is the case.  If it is not
> working then the best I can do without downloading, installing and
> testing it myself is to say: re-read the instructions carefully and
> check the output/logs it generates for any feedback.

Yes I missed it on the first couple of reads 2. There is a way to query the
progress and inspect the output from the Crack in the doco?