[plug] trouble compiling zip drive support

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Mon Oct 11 10:34:23 WST 1999

On Thu, 7 Oct 1999, barry wrote:

> the default kernal couldn't find the zip drive kept saying there was nothing
> there on auto find. i didnt have the info to tell it what to look for with the
> parameters. this happened on both my laptop and desktop. Under rh5.0 it was
> found on both machines.
>
> i recompiled both the new kernal and the modules.
>
> under xconfig i turned on the relevant parts for scsi support and iomega ppa
> support then recompiled using make dep; make clean; make bzImage; make modules
> make modules_install and then installed the kernal in /boot and reran lilo

You will also need to edit lilo.conf as you cuntom kernel name will be
differnt to the RedHat supplied kernel.

After you reboot it is a good Idea to check the time and date stamp on
/lib/modules/`uname -r`/modules.dep to make sure it has been rebuilt after the
reboot.

BEFORE you run a make modules_install it is a VERY good idea to
pushd `pwd`
cd /lib/modules
mv `uname -r` `uname -r`-old
popd
make modules_install

this will keep a copy of your working modules and at the smae time clean out
your stale modules.  This will avoid "unresolved symbol" messages.

Its also a good Idea to copy /usr/src/linux/System/map to /boot

Yours Tony.