[plug] Cron scheduling

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Thu Oct 14 06:53:16 WST 1999

> Um, you know, I think it just takes a very long time to learn how to read the
>  man pages.  <smile>
>
>  I was just thinking this morning that I like the 'Leon Pages'.  :)  His desc
> riptions are frequently worth clipping out and saving, for their clear and us
> er-friendly style.

> Paul Baumgarten wrote:
>
> > Isn't it amazing that no matter how long one uses something (ie Linux) you
> > still come across something seemingly basic that you should have probably
> > known about a long time ago.
>
> Definitely - and nearly always these questions are answered in the
> appropriate manual pages.  The structure of the online manual system and
> how to use it is probably one area that is often overlooked when
> teaching people about Linux.  Many people have this sense that there
> exists this mystic state of Unix gurudom - people who seem to know all
> these tricks and no one really knows how they learnt them.  I think this
> perception is mostly illusion - the people who seem to know all the
> secrets are just the ones who read manual pages.

There are problems with Linux (and Unix in general) documentation;
	There's no good summary of what commands exist
	"man" is almost nobody's guess when "help" is needed.
	It's often difficult to comprehend
	You often need to know th software's source to find the docs - FSF
software hardley ever hass a current man "page" and sometimes has none at
all. For these programs, you need "info"
	info is not obvious either
	info is the worst hypertext viewing program I've seen, except for older
versions.

Fortunately KDE and (better) GNOME address many of these problems with a
single browser that handles all three (adding HTML) formats.
--
Cheers
John Summerfield