[plug] Cron scheduling

Christian christian at global.net.au
Thu Oct 14 18:31:48 WST 1999

John Summerfield wrote:

> There are problems with Linux (and Unix in general) documentation;
>         There's no good summary of what commands exist

apropos 1

(Or whatever section(s) is/are relevant to what you're looking for).

>         "man" is almost nobody's guess when "help" is needed.

A bit like "Start" not being a person's first guess when they want to
stop - once learned it's not hard to see the logic.

>         It's often difficult to comprehend

It just takes time.  It's really not that hard if you put a little
effort in.

>         You often need to know th software's source to find the docs - FSF
> software hardley ever hass a current man "page" and sometimes has none at
> all. For these programs, you need "info"

GNU software doesn't always have up to date manual pages - that's their
clearly stated policy for their OS.  It's not that dissimilar from
Windows programs not having manual pages.

>         info is not obvious either

Seriously - it's not really that hard.

>         info is the worst hypertext viewing program I've seen, except for older
> versions.
> Fortunately KDE and (better) GNOME address many of these problems with a
> single browser that handles all three (adding HTML) formats.

As you say, there are other options which do the job fine - it's really
not as terrible as you make out.

Regards,

Christian.

--
People shouldn't think that it's better to have loved and lost than
never loved at all.  It's not, it's better to have loved and won.