[plug] Cron scheduling

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Thu Oct 14 20:14:41 WST 1999

> John Summerfield wrote:
>
> > There are problems with Linux (and Unix in general) documentation;
> >         There's no good summary of what commands exist
>
> apropos 1

No neophyte would think of that either.

> (Or whatever section(s) is/are relevant to what you're looking for).
>
> >         "man" is almost nobody's guess when "help" is needed.
>
> A bit like "Start" not being a person's first guess when they want to
> stop - once learned it's not hard to see the logic.

It's fairly easy to see the button though.

> >         It's often difficult to comprehend
>
> It just takes time.  It's really not that hard if you put a little
> effort in.

Should not be necessary. How would your parents/grandparents shape up?

> >         You often need to know th software's source to find the docs - FSF
> > software hardley ever hass a current man "page" and sometimes has none at
> > all. For these programs, you need "info"
>
> GNU software doesn't always have up to date manual pages - that's their
> clearly stated policy for their OS.  It's not that dissimilar from
> Windows programs not having manual pages.

And a stupid policy it is. All it achieves is to make life even more
difficult. And I don't recall saying anything good about Windows either.

> >         info is not obvious either
>
> Seriously - it's not really that hard.

Seriously, when you telnet to an unfamiliar box for the first time, it is.

> >         info is the worst hypertext viewing program I've seen, except for o
> lder
> > versions.
> > Fortunately KDE and (better) GNOME address many of these problems with a
> > single browser that handles all three (adding HTML) formats.
>
> As you say, there are other options which do the job fine - it's really
> not as terrible as you make out.

Those options are both very new, and both gnome and KDE are still sadly
incomplete.

There are, however, both better than Windows.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield