[plug] Running Qmail - Script and messages

Greg Mildenhall greg at networx.net.au
Sun Sep 19 23:54:26 WST 1999

On Sun, 19 Sep 1999, Subba Rao wrote:
> Script was named "qt"
> =================
> supervise /var/lock/qmail-smtpd tcpserver -v -x/etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -u71 -g1001 0 25 \
>       rblsmtpd qmail-smtpd 2>&1 | setuidgid qmaill multilog | \
>       setuidgid qmaill multilog -s5000000 -n5 /var/log/qmail/qmail-smtpd &
>
> Here is the message, I get after running the script to start qmail
>
> root at caesar:/var/qmail# multilog: fatal: unable to switch to current directory: access denied
> multilog: fatal: unable to switch to current directory: access denied
>
> I run this script as root.
But I doubt it stays that way. By the look of that "setuidgid" command,
the uid:gid gets set to 71:1001 before qmail is run.
You want to find out which user and group that is, and whether they
have/should have permission to switch to /var/qmail.
If it's not that, it's probably the logger program, which appears to be
run with uid:gid set to qmaill:multilog. Will that allow access to the
current directory? Should it?

IIRC, this is a Slackware system, right? I'd probably be inclined to move
to a distribution with a more automated approach to package installation
until I got to know some of the basics of Unix systems. I consider myself
pretty competent and experienced with Unix, but I still use and prefer a
system on which I can install and configure qmail in one command line + a
bunch of fairly easy questions with sensible defaults.

-greg Mildenhall