[plug] syslogd question

Chris Griffin chrisg at doladns.dola.wa.gov.au
Thu Apr 6 10:06:36 WST 2000

I have been trying to set this up and the config of the router end works fine.
I have discovered that by default messages issued by the router are using
"local7". This being so, I have configured syslog.conf for this, but I
never get any data being put into the appropriate file. Tracing the data
shows that it is going from the router to the Linux box. I checked the doco
on sysklogd (Ver 1.3.31) and it does say "* syslogd has better handling of
remote logging capabilities.".
Any ideas eg. should I go for syslogd (if so where can I find a version as
I am looking for it and as yet, no can find)?

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Chris

At 15:57 3/04/2000 +0800, you wrote:
>On Mon, Apr 03, 2000 at 03:41:00PM +0800, Chris Griffin wrote:
> > On My RedHat 6.1 DNS I have also installed syslogd. I want it to log all
> > the normal things in the normal way. It does.
> > I would also like to get it to log messages from our routers and switches
> > to a different file, say /var/log/cisco.log.
> > At present this function is done on a Solaris system that has the
> following
> > line in the /etc/syslog.conf file:
> >
> > *.debug                    /var/adm/log/cisco.log
> >
> > On the Solaris system I only seem to get the router/switch messages in the
> > cisco.log whereas on my Linux box I seem to get a lot of other messages as
> > well.
>
>  Anything that uses the debug facility will have it's logging messages
> written out to the /var/log/cisco.log file too.  That is your
> problem.  My suggestion would be to use a different facility (i.e., one
> of the 'localX' facilities) and configure your routers to use this.
>
>  Regards,
>
>  Christian.

                               \\\___///
                               \\  - -  //
                                (  @ @  )
+----------------------------oOOo-(_)-oOOo--------------+
| Chris Griffin, Senior Network Engineer                |
| Email: chris.griffin at mitswa.com.au                    |
| Managed Information Technology Solutions (M.I.T.S)    |
| 1st Floor, Batholomew House, 31 Ventnor Avenue,       |
| West Perth W.A. 6005                                  |
| PH: +61 (08) 9481-4066  FAX: +61 (08) 9481-4064       |
I haven't lost my mind -     oooO   (   )
- it's backed up on tape    (   )    ) /
   somewhere.                 \ (    (_/
                               \_)