[plug] Setting up...

Beau Kuiper kuiperba at cs.curtin.edu.au
Sun Apr 23 12:17:09 WST 2000

On Sun, 23 Apr 2000, John Breen wrote:
> Ok, I have a bunch of problems with my nice new Linux (Debian) box,
> which I hope someone will be good enough to help me with.
>
> 1.  The network card kills serial ports.  I have a 3Cem Etherlink III
> (3c509) ISA card.  It's jumperless and when I plug it in, my serial
> ports just die.  Suddenly, when I put it in, I can't get to my modem,
> so wvdial just s***s itself - so no mail.... :(  I have (temporarily)
> put wingate on my windows PC, and am proxying the net connections,
> but that's obviously not an ideal solution.  The mouse also goes the
> same way, which makes X pretty damn useless.  I got the 3c509 setup
> and diagnostics programs off the net, and tried changing settings for
> the card, but doesn't seem to have worked.  I had similar problems
> with RH 6.1 with the same card.

You could probably fix this given enough, but it is probably easier just to
buy a new PCI ethernet card. Even a PCI Realtek 8029 (NE2000 clone) works well.
Also PCI ethernet cards are very cheap now ($30-$40)

However, you could try changing the BIOS settings, so that the serial ports are
moved elsewhere. Or you could try the setup program i am attaching to change
the cards port and irq. Compile it with

gcc -O2 -o 3c5x9setup 3c5x9setup.c

> 2.  Mail transport.  I'm using my Linux box to read mail (as would
> any reasonable person...)  I want to put on an SMTP relay that waits
> to send mail out until I check my mail with a cron job at midnight.

hmmm, I think you can just run

sendmail -q

to flush any waiting outgoing mail when you connect to the internet.

> Ummm... that's probably it for now.  Happy easter everyone, and
> thanks in advance.

Thanks
Have Fun
Beau Kuiper