[plug] Setting up...

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Sun Apr 23 12:40:23 WST 2000

Beau Kuiper wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Apr 2000, John Breen wrote:
> > Ok, I have a bunch of problems with my nice new Linux (Debian) box,
> > which I hope someone will be good enough to help me with.
> >
> > 1.  The network card kills serial ports.  I have a 3Cem Etherlink III
> > (3c509) ISA card.  It's jumperless and when I plug it in, my serial
> > ports just die.  Suddenly, when I put it in, I can't get to my modem,
> > so wvdial just s***s itself - so no mail.... :(  I have (temporarily)
> > put wingate on my windows PC, and am proxying the net connections,
> > but that's obviously not an ideal solution.  The mouse also goes the
> > same way, which makes X pretty damn useless.  I got the 3c509 setup
> > and diagnostics programs off the net, and tried changing settings for
> > the card, but doesn't seem to have worked.  I had similar problems
> > with RH 6.1 with the same card.
>
> You could probably fix this given enough, but it is probably easier just to
> buy a new PCI ethernet card. Even a PCI Realtek 8029 (NE2000 clone) works well.
> Also PCI ethernet cards are very cheap now ($30-$40)

I replaced a PCI Realtek 8029, as it had died, with a used one from
Computer Salvage in North Perth, for $15, a couple of weeks ago. They
have heaps of used network cards. A computer shop in East Vic Park has
them new for $32, I think. Other prices for the Realtek 8029 NIC's (when
you can find them), are around $55 new.

We use the Realtek 8029 NIC's, interfacing between Win 9x, Win NT, and
RH Linux 5.2 and 6.0, without any problems.

The NIC's that we use, have both RJ45 and coax sockets.

Bret Busby